20 January 2010

Slowing Down To Speed Up

Distance: 6 miles
Time: 47:15
Avg Pace: 7:52

Okay, so I didn't exactly slow down today. But that is the plan for tomorrow. As I'm in my first week of my half marathon training plan, I'm going to be doing some speed work soon. Also, my short runs (3-5) are going to be much faster. So on my medium long runs and long runs, I am going to slow the pace a lot. So tomorrow, I'm running a slow 5 miles outside. I say outside because I realize that I've been running on the dm for more than a week now....and its not cold outside...I just worry about being seen by drivers since I live in the city. Well, that is why I bought my Brooks Nitelife Pullover.
 Back to today's workout. The gym was busy again, so I had to split my run in half (damn 30 minute rule). Still, I had a good workout.

My friend marathonmaiden   mentioned something about doing a post related to college-gym-goers. If you're reading this (98% sure you are since you are the only one who leaves comments) I've got a few for you: The non-traditional student, the girlfriends and the wannabe jocks. If you have ever been to a college gym, you know who I'm talking about. And once in a while, you will see another runner. Even more rare than the real runner, is the marathoner. I spotted a fellow marathoner today. After I left the mats from stretching, I had to pass the dm's to get to the stairs. I saw a woman a long stride holding a comfortably quick pace. Then I saw she was wearing the shirt from the Seattle RNR Marathon (the same one I ran for my first). This was the first time I spotted another marathoner at the gym. Back in Montana, there was one other girl there who for a few months I called runner-girl. She was the only other person who was on the dm for more than 30 minutes. I later learned her actual name and that she had qualified for Boston.

Now, I'm going to try and crank out a few more diff eq problems before class. Well, lets be honest. I'm going to try and crank out one part of one problem.

1 comment:

  1. ugh to college gym goers. i'm in the process of putting together my thoughts on all the types that i see but i get so annoyed that i can't finish a thought! haha

    that's awesome that you found a marathoner!! i've only met one other real runner at the gym and she was faculty so it was cool to hear her stories and encouragement (she really helped push me to be open to the marathon when i first started racing)

    ReplyDelete