31 December 2011

2011

Well, 2011 is almost over. If I managed to get the timing of this post right, it is one hour until the new year in NYc. I have mixed feeling about my running performance this year. Before we get into that, let's look back at the goals I set for myself. 1. 3:05 marathon/ Failed 2. 1:26 half marathon/ Check 3. Sub-40 10K/ Half Check 4. 2000 miles/ Check I only ran one marathon this year, Boston. I took a chance and went after a sub-3 performance. My efforts yielded a blow up of sorts and a 3:21:03 finish. I took that shot because I hit goal two easily. In March I ran a 1:24:36 at the Mercer Island Half Marathon. That is also where I earned my half check of goal number three. My 10K split there was sub-40. So I hit the goal, just not in a 10K race. Thanks to the streak, I crushed my mileage goal. I finished the year with a little over 2200 miles. While I succeeded at shorter distances (also managed 18:59 for the 5K)and overall mileage, I am slightly disappointed with my time from Boston. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change how I ran that race at all. I set a goal, made a strategy and gave it my best effort. I made the Boston-rookie mistake of taking some of the early downhills too quickly and my quads were thrashed for the uphill section in Newton. Since I started running, Boston was always in my mind, even if I never told anyone. So my finish time was a little hard to deal with at first. While I am still upset by it, I have accepted it and layed out a new plan to run sub-3. **********2011 Running Stats********** Distance: 2219.5 Miles Time: 297:34:50 Average Pace: 8:03 Days Run: 302 Average Run: 7.35 miles Now, for the fun part. My goals for next year. 1. Sub-3 Marathon 2. Sub-1:23 Half Marathon 3. 2500 miles 4. Finish a 50K The marathon and half marathon goals will it until the fall. I am spending a good chunk of the first 6 months of 2912 building a strong base. I may throw in some shorter 10K/HM stuff but just for fun. No PR attempts. The 50K goal is conditional. There is a 50k race near where I live on June 2. However, I do not know if I will still be living here then. If I am still close enough (western Washington...maybe northern Oregon) I will sign up and run the race. If DW or myself gets a job out of the area, I will be focused on getting settled in our new home and getting into a new routine. I hope everyone had a great 2011 and has an even better 2012. Run Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment