13 December 2011

Life and Such

As promised, a post to update on everything since I've been a slacker and not posted consistently in some time. Now that life is somewhat settled down I'll try to be a better blogger.

Lets start with the good. I am now married to the most amazing woman on the planet! Our wedding day was wonderful. We had been waiting for a long time for that day to come (we've been together for eight and a half years). I can not describe how happy it makes me to see her every morning when I wake up. She is everything that I am not and I am a better person because of her. Sadly, she is out of the state for work this week :(

Our honeymoon was amazing! We spent a week in Kapalua, Maui. Of course, we ran a 5k while there. The Xterra trail runs held in junction with the Xterra World Championships (triathlon) just happened to start at our resort. How can you pass that up? I could not think of a better way to start our married life than the same way we started dating: running.

Now, the sort of good. I finally have a job. Its not a permanent position/career job. Just something to pay the bills/student loans (and it barely does that). I will be teaching one precalculus course at a local community college. Still, its experience and something to add to my resume so I'll take it. Plus, only one class gives me time to look for a permanent position and run.

Speaking of running, I believe I need to give an October and November recap.

October
Miles: 150
Pace: 8:09

November
Miles: 161
Pace: 7:54

The streak ended the day of the wedding (that day was my last run). In all I ran for 811.8 miles in 125 days. I am currently running 6 days a week. I joined a new running club since it seems I'll be staying put for a little while. Its a great group of runners of all abilities. We have people who have yet to run their first marathon and one person who is competing in the Olympic Marathon Trials next month. I love running with a group!

I have also decided that if I am going to run under 3 hours and get back to Boston, I need to step up my game. For the foreseeable future, I am going to be doing HR based training. I've been studying my race results and have concluded that I have the speed for a sub-3 marathon but nowhere near the endurance I need. To work on my aerobic capacity, I did the Hadd 2400m test yesterday. I suspect my max HR is in the low 200's. However, due to my heart condition I am operating as if it is in the low to mid 190's. The test confirmed my hypothesis, I lack the aerobic capacity to meet my goal. I should be running around 175 bpm at my ideal marathon pace. The test showed that my PR corresponds to this (roughly). Anyway, the results.

Target HR/Actual HR/Pace
140/139/10:00
150/149/9:02
160/159/8:16
170/170/7:33
180/179/6:51

Needless to say, I have lost a lot of fitness/aerobic capacity since my HM pr back in March. I'll retest in 6 weeks to see if I am making any progress. I will continue this training method until my current 180 bpm pace is my 170 bpm pace. Then I will find a race and go after sub-3. Hopefully that will be in the fall. In a few hours I'll head out for my first run of the program, 50 min @145bpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment